RE: [WWP] Have the "keel" galvanized?

From: Judith Franklin Blumhorst, DC (DrJudyB@pacbell.net)
Date: Thu May 11 2000 - 16:59:48 PDT

Alan,

I don't think bottom paint will protect the keel from rusting. It's not
designed to do that. I'm not too keen on the idea of rustoleum either,
except maybe for small touchup jobs. They're just not adhesive enough,
tough enough, or water resistant enough, IMO. Somebody may know of a paint
that does the trick, but I don't.

Why not use epoxy? It's super adhesive, tough, and a darned good moisture
barrier. It's easy enough with the West System by Gugeon Brothers. I've
never had a bad batch since I switched to using West System, with their
metered pump system.

Mine was done with West System 2-part epoxy. You have to cure it in
appropriate conditions (warm enough and not too humid) to prevent "amine
blushing" which can affect how your bottom paint cures. In any event, you
have to lightly sand the epoxy for the paint to grip, and then wash it
thoroughly with water to remove the amines. And try a test section to make
sure your bottom paint cures over epoxy. Micron CSC paint cured fine over
new epoxy on my keel last November.

Judy
1985 WWP19 #266 Redwing
Danville/SF Bay, CA