[WWP] truth and integrity

From: Alan Dimson-Doyle (addoyle@mediaone.net)
Date: Sat May 13 2000 - 08:21:59 PDT

I have just finished perusing my latest issue of SCA. In it there is an ad
from IM which states, "One person can easily rig, launch, and sail away in
less than 10 minutes." At best, this is deceptive.

About two weeks ago I called IM for some help on rigging. Specifically, I
asked about what the block on the end of the boom was for. The gentleman who
answered could only suggest that I contact the DPO. When I said they did
not know either, his response was, "Well we make a lot of different
set-ups...." His not knowing what the block was for was a little
disconcerting, but the real issue was the rather dismissive and unpleasant
way in which he talked.

Lastly, I sent a response to Bruce Park who asked about sail area in which I
gave two websites that lists specs for the Potters. Judy, that endless
fountain of knowledge, responded to my message letting me know that most of
that information is not accurate.

The question that runs through my mind is, how trustworthy are the people
who build the boats we sail on? I know I am going to get a zillion
recently, it does give me pause and makes me a little nervous. To me the ad
is an outright lie, the phone call shows a lack of knowledgeable staff, and
the spec sheets demonstrate sloppiness and a lack of attention to detail.
My fear is that all this flows over into the building of their boats.

My next step is to send a letter to IM stating all of the above. I guess my
reason for posting it here is to see if others have similar experiences OR
can give me info that will change how I see things AND/OR a need to vent and
think out what I am feelings.

Thanks for listening.
Alan, P-19, "Molly Fay"
New Englander