Brisk afternoon at Dana Point

From: Bill Boyer (antares6527@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Mar 12 2000 - 10:52:39 PST

Yesterday, I had one of the most pleasant sailing
experiences of my life. My youngest son, Todd, just
graduated from Marine Corps bootcamp at MCRD San
Diego, and my older son, Rob, came to SoCal for the
occasion from Central Illinois. I sailed Lil, my P-15
while they sailed Antares, my Catalina 27. It was a
great bonding experience. Lil tried hard, but could
not begin keep up with Antares. Around 3pm the winds
freshened to about 12 knots. The temperature was 70
degrees F. My sons were doing 6.5 knots. I don't have
a knotmeter on Lil and wasn't close enough to Antares
to get a reading, but I had to be doing near hull
speed. On a broad reach will full sails Lil was
surfing over the rollers with a flat wake behind her.
It was a great sailing day, especially with my two
sons. Also, the whale watching boats seem to be doing
great business.

Bill Boyer
Aliso Viejo, CA
Southwestern Potter Club