First Sail of Year and Motor Rotation

From: Lewis Baumstark (lbaum@preferred.com)
Date: Tue Mar 28 2000 - 17:45:04 PST

Hi all,

Managed to get out for a couple of hours this past Sat. and do some sailing.
It seems that here in East Tn. we have two wind speeds, too much and too
little! Sat. was one of those rare days when there was plenty but not too
much. The temp. was about 70 degrees and my best guess for wind speed was
about 15-20 mph. My wife was with me (she doesn't go a lot) and I didn't
want to scare her or me so when I raised sail I reefed. I found that
sailing was very comfortable with reefed main and jib. Some of the gusts
were a little scary but spilling the main seemed to keep us in control (the
reefed main doesn't do this as well a full main though). We tacked back and
forth up the lake into the wind until a thunder head started threatening. I
decided not to turn and run in what was strong wind for me, with my wife
aboard, so I started the engine, took down the sails, and returned to the
ramp. Sure do wish we had more wind like that here, it makes for a fun ride
although it can be scary at times for one of my experience level.

One question: I have a Nissan 3.5 with N-F. The friction device that holds
the motor stationary for steering with the rudder works great at all speeds
except slow idle, which just happens to be the speed best suited for raising
sail when single handing. At slow idle the engine will slowly rotate
counterclock wise and no amount of tension on the friction device will stop
it. Does anyone else have this problem, and if so what have you done about
it?

Lewis Baumstark
P15
Bristol, Tn.